Sunday, September 2, 2007

So Happy It's September!

For some reason, I'm really ready for Autumn to arrive. The coming of September has caused a debate in our household, though, over When Fall Really Begins. Yes, I know, technically, the first day of Autumn in September 23rd, but I never considered
September to be part of summer. Let's face it, in our culture, Labor Day is usually thought of as the last day of summer. That doesn't seem quite right, either, but for our purposes, I have always called September the first month of Autumn. Tiger insists that September 1 was the first day of Autumn, but my daughter M.K is holding onto summer as long as possible. She won't admit to Fall's advent until, oh, probably the first of October. Anyway, when we did our annual Labor Day Weekend shopping yesterday, I broke down and bought some Yankee Candles. It's a little early yet, but I can't wait to fill the house with the aromas of Farmhouse Apple, Autumn Wreath, and Spiced Pumpkin (saving that one for October).
I'm enjoying reading Dawn's Labor Day post from last year,A Harvest of Autumn Delights. Delights. It's really getting me thinking about what defines the beauty and pleasure of Autumn for our family. For Jim, it's Notre Dame football all the way! The kids like the cooler weather, looking forward to Halloween and Thanksgiving, and we all enjoy a trip to Hilger's Fall Festival.
Before that, though, is the Johnny Appleseed Festival, and this year I hope we will get to the Fall Harvest Festival
at Salomon Farm. I'm also planning to see if we can't get to an apple orchard this month for apple picking and cider buying. That's a lot to look forward to!

No comments:

The Christmas Octave: A Peaceful Space

I was planning to make this first post in over two years a "catching up" post. And I will get to that, eventually. But I felt insp...