Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Perilous Peach Pit

I love ripe, juicy, fresh peaches. The juice-running down-your-arm variety.
Slicing through one this afternoon, I actually cut through the pit, too.

Here's what the inside of the pit looked like.
Hey, how'd that almond get in the middle of a peach pit?" Did you know that peaches and almonds are related, and that there is a small bitter almond in the middle of a peach pit? Did
you also know that said bitter almonds contain cyanide? I didn't know this when I put the nut in my mouth, but the bitterness did make me spit it out, fortunately. Unfortunately, I had swallowed a small amount. I freaked out just a little bit upon reading the bit about the cyanide
on the internet. Then, just to demonstrate how neurotic I am, I called the poison control number.
The lady told me (pretty casually, I thought, while I was panicking) the small amount I had
eaten wouldn't have any effect. The experience shook me up, but we all learned something
new about peaches. I'll never look at a peach pit the same way again.

6 comments:

nancy said...

I didn't know that...lol...

hider101 said...

very educational! You made my day!

cakeblockd said...

same thing happend to me about 10 minutes ago i found this while freaking out googling different variations of the word almond inside of a peach + eat

Jamie Fisk said...

HAHA, I just found this out myself and recognized the taste of the cyanide as I was mashing it between my teeth, (I was half expecting it to be poisonous anyway) didn't think anyone else had ever tried it, I made sure to rinse my mouth out thoroughly, and spit every last little bit of the peach-pit-almond out (bitter almonds are actually a seperate variety that have more cyanide than peach seeds) it is amazing how reminiscent of almonds that flavor is, it nearly tasted like I had just dumped a bottle of almond extract in my mouth.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I could have sworn I've visited this blog before but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it's new to
me. Anyhow, I'm certainly delighted I discovered it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking
back frequently!

my page - http://www.earlylearningpreschool.com

Anonymous said...

So... How did the peaches get in my almond trees? Do I dare eat the peaches? I already opened the seed and tasted the pit and it DID taste like an almond. How many of these pits will kill you?

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow my blog with Bloglovin