Monday, February 2, 2009

Presentation Day and other items

I really like this picture for the Presentation. I found it on Blessed Among Men, a blog which was linked to Elizabeth Foss's blog, In the Heart of My Home. 
I wish I could say we're doing lots of Candlemas activities, but, well, we're not. Jim and I took turns this weekend being sick, and Jim's home sick today.
Consequently, I wasn't able to make preparations that
would've made said activities more likely.
We did read about the Presentation this morning,
and talked about Candlemas. Sam suggested getting out all the candles we can find this evening, and lighting them. Maybe we'll actually brave a candlelit procession, too.


We also read Groundhog Day! by Gail Gibbons, and the book  touched on a connection between Groundhog Day and Candlemas, which I didn't know existed. The boys surprised me by deciding to draw pictures of a groundhog burrow and put them
in their nature notebooks. I'm always amazed when they spontaneously come up with an idea like that. Not that it happens that often, mind you, but I know if I said "Now, I want you to draw a picture of a groundhog burrow", there might have been groans and complaining, and they probably wouldn't have done their best. The magic of Real Learning! (Also of Gail Gibbons
books which have wonderful pictures.)

3 comments:

Janny said...

Great! I especially enjoy the pictures because these kids are my grand children. Keep up the good work!

Janny said...

Let's all pray for the renovation of Holy Name Cathedral because it caught on fire this morning in downtown Chicago. It is historic in that it was built after the Chicago fire destroyed Saint Mary's there.
On WGNtv.com Francis Cardinal George said there was mostly water damage and the Cardinals hats hung from the rafters were still there.

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

HI !!!

I love your blog and all of your pictures!

Roz from "Our Beautiful Catholic Faith" blog...

many blessings and hope you can STAY WARM in all of that wonderful snow!

The Christmas Octave: A Peaceful Space

I was planning to make this first post in over two years a "catching up" post. And I will get to that, eventually. But I felt insp...