Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sometimes I get discouraged in the ongoing work of teaching reading to my dyslexic son. The unsure outcome and seemingly slow progress can be upsetting. I was thinking today of a young woman I've read of. A teacher who struggled mightily with her young pupil. She must have had horrible days of self-doubt and unsureness of the outcome of her efforts. I've heard that her work was often undermined by her student's parents, who didn't understand her methods at all. The way this teacher doggedly worked at helping her student learn has always inspired me.  The teacher's name was Annie Sullivan, and her famous pupil was, of course, Helen Keller. I guess, at that, I'm in pretty good company. 

No comments:

The Christmas Octave: A Peaceful Space

I was planning to make this first post in over two years a "catching up" post. And I will get to that, eventually. But I felt insp...