Wednesday, July 1, 2009

All Movied Out

I can count on one hand the number of movies we've seen in theaters this year. We've seen two. 
And both of them were today.  Normally, I wouldn't take my kids to see two movies in one day. Heck, normally I don't take them to see any movie. The Rave Theater shows a free kids' movie
every couple of weeks, though, and today's feature was "The Tale of Despereaux", which my boys and I
enjoyed greatly, what with all those creepy rats, a valiant mouse, and a princess. Okay, the boys
weren't all that impressed by the princess, more by the creepy rats and the humor, which was refreshingly not as gross as most of today's kids' movies.
Tonight we went to a local outdoor theater, and it was FREEZING. Well, actually, it was about
63 degrees, but there was a wind tunnel feel to the place, so it's a good thing we wore warm clothes. We saw "Kit Kittredge" for the first time. Yes, I'm aware that it came out a few years ago.
What you must realize is that we don't get out much, so to us, it was like new. It was also free.
I love free movies! Having read all the Kit books when Mary was about ten years old (she has the doll, too, thanks to my mom), the plot was very familiar. I really didn't expect to like the movie that much, but it was easily the best of the American Girl movies, and was very entertaining. Thus ends my exciting review of two older, though new-to-us, movies.

3 comments:

MightyMom said...

63?? in June?? wow. it's 88 at midnight here these days...my hubby'd kill for a 63 degree evening.

glad you liked your movie day. :-)

MightyMom said...

oh, and for what it's worth, the last movie we saw in the theater was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix...that would have been our anniversary...July 2007 :-)

Grace said...

I really wasn't too disappointed at the cooler temps
either, since we can now at least sleep with blankets
again after earlier temps in the nineties. The contrast
was kind of a shock though!

The Christmas Octave: A Peaceful Space

I was planning to make this first post in over two years a "catching up" post. And I will get to that, eventually. But I felt insp...