Saturday, March 16, 2013

Ever Ancient, Ever New

Since I'm recording this just for my own remembering, and for my family if they're interested, it doesn't matter that I'm several days late, again. Anyway, just when our family was really enjoying watching the Vatican Chimney for smoke (which I never did get to see live), this happened.


 Unfortunately, we were in a parking garage at the time, and with no smart phone, we could only listen to the crowds cheering and bells ringing through the car radio. After one more stop to pick up a kid, we raced home to find out who our new pope would be. The watching was a little anti-climactic, since it took such a long time for him to be announced. Like waiting for the birth of a baby.  But what joy when we found out his name: Pope Francis!



Having gotten to know and love St. Francis of Assisi through the Franciscan Brothers Minor, I could only think a Pope Francis is what the Church (and the world) need right now. And all the newness! The phrase "ever ancient, ever new" kept running through my mind when we found out that our new pope is the first Francis, the first South American, and the first Jesuit to become pope.
As exciting as these days have been, I'm looking forward to the days ahead, getting to know our new Holy Father.

No comments:

The Christmas Octave: A Peaceful Space

I was planning to make this first post in over two years a "catching up" post. And I will get to that, eventually. But I felt insp...