Monday, August 13, 2007

Hummer Fun and Stargazing



We've fallen in love with hummingbirds! We recently put up a feeder and are really enjoying watching these little charmers.
I think the birds in the above picture are the kind coming to our feeder, but am not sure yet. Since I haven't successfully taken a
picture of one yet, I found this picture at www.hummingbirds.net. At dusk on Sunday, my three little boys and I stood by the feeder just watching them flit over our heads, from the feeder to the trees, and back again.
We also piled in the van after dark, and headed out to the country to look for the Perseid Meteor Showers. Spent a lot of time driving around trying to find a place with little to no light pollution where we might actually see something. Finally we stopped at a nearby nature preserve and parked in the entrance drive, since the place was closed. A couple of the kids said they did see shooting stars/meteors/ I don't know what. It was a little disappointing, but I think we might have seen more if we had gone later. As it was, the kids were up quite late, but it was worth it because they did get quite excited just seeing all the constellations we were able to see.

No comments:

The Christmas Octave: A Peaceful Space

I was planning to make this first post in over two years a "catching up" post. And I will get to that, eventually. But I felt insp...