Saturday, March 14, 2009

Recent (And Not So Recent) Purchases

I wanted to highlight some fun and effective "teacher's helpers" that I've bought fairly recently:


I actually bought these big dominoes about two years ago from Big Lots. They're inexpensive, good and sturdy, and are useful for counting practice, addition, and subtraction. I made little number cards, so the boys could match a number to a domino, or make addition and subtraction sentences with the cards to match what is on the domino.


I've seen the above cards for years, but never considered using them until I saw them on Pioneer Woman's website. They're
meant to be used with a book called English from the Roots Up, but we just use the cards to
learn the Latin and Greek roots of English words. The green bordered cards are Greek, and 
the red bordered cards are Latin. On the back is printed the meaning of the root, and common
English words that contain that particular root, like the photos card has the word photograph
on the back. We only learn one root per day, with a lot of oral review.




One of the most exciting discoveries I've made is this set of cards, from Picture Me Reading. They're a wonderful tool for my
very visual, picture-thinking son, Sam. Each card has a Dolch sight word (there are 220 of them!) with a picture embedded in it that give a clue as to what the word is. On the back is the word without the picture, and a sentence using the word/picture.  This is really working for him in a way that phonics never has. Oh, I know he still needs to work on phonics, but now I can help him learn phonics from the words he actually can read. Being very right-brained, he thinks much better from whole word to word parts/letters, rather than the traditional letter
sounds to words to sentences. 

No comments:

The Christmas Octave: A Peaceful Space

I was planning to make this first post in over two years a "catching up" post. And I will get to that, eventually. But I felt insp...