Wednesday, November 26, 2008

It's Grampy Day!


I realize this is an unfamiliar occasion to most; in fact it's our own made up day of remembrance. Today would have been my Dad's 76th birthday. He died of lung cancer six years ago. Dad was a warm, funny, flawed but very loveable man. The kind of man who was liked by everyone he knew. He adored my kids, had a special bond with my oldest, was so excited when we found out we were having twins. I wish they could have known him as more than "that funny man in the family videos", that they could remember how he sang songs, and played patty cake with them. Shortly before he died, I told him we would celebrate his birthday each year with memories and laughter. Later today, we'll watch those family movies, look at photos, tell funny stories about him, eat his favorite pineapple upside-down cake, and those of us over seven will remember.
We love and miss you, Dad.

No comments:

The Christmas Octave: A Peaceful Space

I was planning to make this first post in over two years a "catching up" post. And I will get to that, eventually. But I felt insp...